- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
CBDReader App for iPod/iPad/iPhone
Using your iPad, you can download the CBDReader App directly from Apple's App Store.
Open the App Store, type 'CBDReader' into the search bar and press 'Search'.
Click 'install' on the CBDReader app or click the name to view more details.
You will be prompted to enter your Apple ID Password.
When the app is finished downloading, the CBDReader icon will appear on your homescreen.
Log in with your CBD account and all the eBooks you've purchased on the Christianbook.com website will be automatically added to your device.
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Harvest House Publishers
Publication Date: 2012
Availability: In Stock
Moses' world would hardly be recognizable today. David and Solomon, Isaiah and Nehemiah, Peter and Paul...all the biblical authors wrote to people whose mind-sets were very different from readers' today. Add to that the immensity of the Bible story...no wonder the Scriptures can be difficult to understand!
Bible scholar Douglas Jacoby has taught Bible survey courses for more than 25 years, bridging the gulf between the biblical world and the twenty-first century. He uses clear, easy-to-understand language to explain the big picture of the Bible and show how each of the pieces fit together. Among the many compelling issues covered, readers will discover...
- the basic chronological outline of the Bible
- the most important themes of the Old and New Testaments
- how the Bible relates to a twenty-first-century worldview
Perfect for personal or group use, this survey removes many of the barriers that keep people from understanding and enjoying the Bible.
Bob HaytonSt. Paul, MNAge: 25-34Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5Best short intro to the BibleJanuary 12, 2013Bob HaytonSt. Paul, MNAge: 25-34Gender: maleThere have been many books created with the goal of introducing people to the Bible. Hermeneutical guides, Bible handbooks, "Cliff's Notes", and excerpts from various books of the Bible. Sometimes the attempt to introduce a newbie to the Bible results in an enormous and unwieldy reference book, while other times the end result is a neutered book that fails to capture the beauty and power of the world's greatest book. Douglas A. Jacoby has given us what may be the best designed and most user-friendly yet faithful and in-depth introduction to the Bible. "A Quick Overview of the Bible: Understanding How All the Pieces Fit Together" looks to be an amazing little book which will fill a needed role. And it comes complete with an online resource for how to use it in small groups and SS classes too.
The book hits on many of the questions people have today, such as why the God of the OT is so mean, and if there really is a unity to Scripture. At the same time, it covers basic facts, names, places, geography and the sorts of things a handbook would cover. Then again, the book introduces the reader to each genre of Scripture covering most of the Biblical books as well. A historical storyline is provided too, which helps situate the books and the overall message of Scripture. Themes and theological development are highlighted, and Scriptural allusions are as well.
The book stays practical but informative, it comes at Scripture from a believing standpoint, yet is careful to not be overly sectarian. It is the sort of tool that almost any Bible teacher could pick up and use as a starting point for an overview class, filling in any perceived gaps or clarifying any different emphases with their own perspective. The format of the book includes pictures, maps, charts and graphs as well as a clearly outlined presentation. And the discussion is succinct and clear above all, which helps keep the work limited to around 250 pages with a very readable font.
This book excites me, and I'm happy to have been able to review it. I hope it will be a help to many in the church, both those who want to read Scripture but need guidance, and those who want a refresher on seeing how all the disparate parts of Scripture fit together into a single and compelling story.
Disclaimer: This book was provided by Harvest House Publishers. I was under no obligation to offer a favorable review.
JohnIndianapolis, INAge: 45-54Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5An excellent tool for enhancing biblical literacy!April 3, 2012JohnIndianapolis, INAge: 45-54Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5With the countless books about the Bible that have already been written, many people might wonder how beneficial another book about "understanding the Bible" can actually be. There are several reasons why this volume merits serious consideration.
1) Mission-Minded Orientation - The intent of the book is to help readers develop a better grasp of the "metanarrative about how God works in the world" (page 77) so that they can "join the saints through the ages" (page 255) in living out their own roles in God's continuing work in the world today. "_the purpose of the Bible is not just to relay information, but to bring about transformation" (page 19). Helping readers see "the big picture" and "how all the pieces fit together" is beneficial for those who seek to apply the Bible's message to their daily lives.
2) Concise Presentation - At 255 pages, this book provides a survey of the entire Bible, as well as the Intertestamental Period, in a very concise and accessible manner. Most Christians are unlikely to wade through exhaustive commentaries in their quest to better understand the Bible. This volume provides a framework for understanding the metanarrative of the Bible in a format that is very user-friendly.
3) Theological Sophistication - The author has graduate degrees from The Harvard Divinity School as well as Drew University. As a Christian apologist, he has debated a number of prominent atheists and agnostics including Michael Shermer, Robert Price and Richard Carrier. It is evident throughout the book that he is familiar with a wide range of controversial issues such as those related to origins, end times, higher criticism, etc. A common concern in many churches is that college students often encounter a "crisis of faith" when they face challenges to their beliefs that they don't know how to reasonably answer. Some of the common answers that are often provided within evangelical circles seem to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution. The author's perspective is refreshing in its capacity to reinforce rather than undermine faith, consistent with the challenge to "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." (1 Peter 3:15) This book will equip Christians to be in a better position to do just that.
In terms of credibility, Christians could hardly ask for a better endorsement than that of Mike Licona (see other reviews). This volume deserves wide readership and will benefit a wide range of Christians including those who are new to the faith as well as those who have read the Bible numerous times. It is an excellent tool for enhancing biblical literacy!
MikeAtlanta, GAAge: 45-54Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5A Wonderful Companion to Reading the BibleMarch 29, 2012MikeAtlanta, GAAge: 45-54Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5International speaker, debater and Christian apologist Dr. Douglas Jacoby has provided a valuable tool for laypeople with this introduction to reading the Bible. Students of the Bible understand that a historical background to biblical times is necessary for one to understand the Bible accurately. And Dr. Jacoby delivers the goods in an easily accessible format, serving the reader as a warm and interesting tour guide into the past. I wish I had this book as a college student!
Michael R. Licona, Ph.D.
Author, The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach
IreneUnited States5 Stars Out Of 5A good book for a new Christian to readMarch 6, 2012IreneUnited StatesQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5A Quick Overview of the Bible: Understanding How All the Pieces Fit Together was written by Douglas Jacoby and published by Harvest House Publishers.
This book has helpful information if you are looking for an overview of what is in the Bible. There were so many parts of the book that were interesting. This is not a very in-depth book, meaning you will not find out what each verse in the Bible means. You will have a better understanding of where the books of the Bible got their names or who wrote the different books or even why they were originally written.
My favorite part of the book was the section on sayings that have been attributed to the Bible but are not in the Bible. I also enjoyed the unique questions he singled out to answer. I thought he did a very good job of backing up his answers by using well-researched scripture references.
This book would be a good gift for a new Christian or for someone who has been away from the Church for awhile and needs a refresher on the contents of the Bible. Written in simple language this book was an easy and informative read.
I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for the copy of this book I enjoyed reading. I gave an honest review based on my opinion of what I read.
Other Customers Also Purchased
The Story, NIV: The Bible As One Continuous Story of God and His People. HardcoverZondervan / 2011 / Hardcover$5.00 Retail:4.5 Stars Out Of 5 136 Reviews
$19.99Save 75% ($14.99)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW950974Video
Bible Handbook of Difficult Verses, The: A Complete Guide to Answering the Tough Questions - eBookJosh McDowell, Sean McDowellHarvest House Publishers / 2013 / ePub$9.69 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 1 Reviews
$14.99Save 35% ($5.30)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW42163EB
The Storm Inside: Trade the Chaos of How You Feel for the Truth of Who You AreSheila WalshThomas Nelson / 2014 / Hardcover$13.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 26 Reviews
$21.99Save 36% ($8.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW204878Video
Spiritual Leadership: A Commitment to Excellence for Every Believer - eBookJ. Oswald SandersMoody Publishers / 2007 / ePub$6.87 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 28 Reviews
$11.24Save 39% ($4.37)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW10545EB
Find Related Products
- Download >> Biblical Studies
- Download >> eBooks >> Bible Reference
- Download >> eBooks >> Biblical Studies >> OT & NT Introductions
- eBooks >> Bible Reference >> OT & NT Introductions >> Biblical Studies >> Complete Bible Introductions
- eBooks >> Biblical Studies >> OT & NT Introductions
- Start A New Search