"Rejoice greatly"---this academically sound commentary on Philippians, written in the Wesleyan theological tradition, is ideal for scholars, pastors, students, and laypeople alike. Features introductory material; clear verse-by-verse exposition; comprehensive annotation; and insightful sidebars on theology, word meanings, cultural customs, historical relevance, and more. The expanded bibliography aids further study.
The New Beacon Bible Commentary is an engaging, indispensable reference tool to aid individuals in every walk of life in the study and meditation of God's Word. Written from the Wesleyan theological perspective, it offers insight and perceptive scholarship to help you unlock the deeper truths of Scripture and garner an awareness of the history, culture, and context attributed to each book of study. Readable, relevant, and academically thorough, it offers scholars, pastors, and laity a new standard for understanding and interpreting the Bible in the 21st century.
Each volume features:
- Completely new scholarship from notable experts in the Wesleyan tradition
- Introductory material including information on authorship, date, history, audience, sociological/cultural issues, purpose, literary features, theological themes, hermeneutical issues, and more.
- Clear, verse-by-verse explanations, which offer a contemporary, Wesleyan-based understanding derived from the passage's original language
- Comprehensive annotation divided into three sections, which cover background elements behind the text; verse-by-verse details and meanings found in the text; and significance, relevance, intertextuality, and application from the text
- Helpful sidebars, which provide deeper insight into theological issues, word meanings, archeological connections, historical relevance, cultural customs, etc.
- Expanded bibliography for further study of historical elements, additional interpretations, and theological themes
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.