Engage the text, enrich your study, and experience God's word through the best of Wesleyan scholarship.
Readable, perceptive, and academically thorough, the New Beacon Bible Commentary
will help you gain a deeper understanding of the message and meaning of each book of the Bible.
Written from a Wesleyan theological perspective, this outstanding commentary provides readers from every walk of life a new standard for studying and interpreting the Bible in the 21st Century. Hebrews
includes the following features:
- Contemporary scholarship - from notable experts in the Wesleyan Theological Tradition
- Convenient Introductory material - including information on authorship, date, history, audience, sociological/cultural issues, purpose, literary features, theological themes, and hermeneutical issues
- Clear, verse-by-verse explanations - which offer a contemporary, Wesleyan-based understanding derived from the biblical text in its original language
- Comprehensive annotation - divided into three sections, which cover background elements behind the text; verse-by-verse details and meanings found in the text; and significance, relevance, intertextuality, and application from the text
- Helpful sidebars - which provide deeper insight into theological issues, word meanings, archaeological connections, historical relevance, and cultural customs
- An expanded bibliography - for further study of historical elements, additional interpretations, and theological themes
Sophisticated and compelling, the book of Hebrews challenges its readers to an unwavering commitment to Christ. The anonymous writer of this intriguing book skillfully draws upon the Old Testament and, with rhetorical finesse, reaches out to a struggling community with the message of Christ’s magnificence and the call to radical devotion.NBBC author Kevin Anderson not only highlights and carefully explores the major themes of Hebrews but also adeptly addresses its authorship, date, and context. As with all NBBCs, this volume is marked with sound scholarship and application. It is a valuable resource for pastors, teachers, students, and laypeople. The New Beacon Bible Commentary is an engaging, indispensable reference tool to aid individuals in every walk of life in the study and meditation of God’s Word. Written from the Wesleyan theological perspective, it offers insight and perceptive scholarship to help you unlock the deeper truths of Scripture and garner an awareness of the history, culture, and context attributed to each book of study. Readable, relevant, and academically thorough, it offers scholars, pastors, and laity a new standard for understanding and interpreting the Bible in the 21st century.Each volume features:Clear Verse-by-Verse Explanations, which offer a contemporary, Wesleyan-based understanding derived from the passage’s original languageComprehensive Annotation divided into three sections, which cover background elements behind the text; verse-by-verse details and meanings found in the text; and significance, relevance, intertextuality, and application from the textHelpful Sidebars which provide deeper insight into theological issues, word meanings, archeological connections, historical relevance, cultural customs, and more
Dr. Kevin Anderson is the Professor of Bible and Theology, Asbury College. He holds a Ph.D. from London School of Theology/Brunel University (New Testament), an M.Div. Nazarene Theological Seminary and a B.A. from Trinity Bible College.
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.