This is an excellent Bible if your looking for a literal translation with no opinionated notes or even cross references, quality paper with wide margins for your own note taking, with no bleed-through, 10 point text for easy reading, smyth sewn and a calfskin cover... you've found it. Out of the box it laid flat when opened to Genesis 1 and the soft calfskin is a real pleasure to hold. To top it off, the Lockman Foundation will replace it if it gets worn out from normal use or manufacturer's defect for life. A deal at $100.
I purchased two of these bibles a year ago...a His and Her copy for my wife and I. We were very please then and even more pleased after a year. The bible is a pleasure to hold; it is soft and supple to the touch. The wide margins are perfect for taking notes and the paper is of excellent quality. I wanted a bible that was not filled with others thoughts, I wanted to hear from the Lord myself and make notes that reflected my study of His Word. It is perfect and I would highly recommend it to anyone!
1. I only wanted GODS Words in my bible and nothing else. I have tons of bibles and I got to the point that I no longer wanted study notes, cross references, pastors opinions, life principles, life applications or anyone elses opinions in my bible. They are a huge distraction from what God has intended for me to read sometimes & most often not in the correct context anyways. That stuff wasn't in the text when it was originally written and I don't need it in mine either.
2. I wanted Double column, verse by verse format in a larger font. The larger font is perfect and super clear and easy to read. I don't care if it isn't cool to have a larger font but I'm a Christian & Christians are NOT cool. If I was Cool by the worlds standard or even most Christian standards then I'm probably not following Jesus according to the bible. So..Font is PERFECT!! LOVE IT!!
3. I wanted a high quality leather bible that was plush and soft to the touch. This bible is very plush and very pliable.
4. I wanted a bible that didn't have "bleed through" or "ghosting" (where you can see the words on the other side of the page). And this bible is hands down the best of any bible I have ever read from. This paper is the highest quality out there. There is almost no bleed through. It is on point with "R.L. Allen"& "Cambridge" quality for the paper,,, maybe even higher.
5. I wanted a bible with wide margins so I could actually take some notes in my bible. I believe it is perfectly fine to take notes in the bible. I can tell the difference between Gods Word and my handwriting so all is fine. My notes help me remember the growth I am making as God transforms me into who He made me to be and having that in my bible is awesome!
6. And lastly I wanted a bible that is the most word for word translation available besides reading from the hebrew and greek. I know there is the "interlinear" but even that is sketchy in places and only had one translator. The NASB is most word for word translation that you can read in ENGLISH. People will argue this back and forth all day. My suggestion is simple, learn hebrew and greek and then you can talk, until then you are wrong. The ESV is a great translation too, although less word for word in its translation...
In Conclusion this bible is everything I wanted and more. Although I wanted it in Black or Blue, the Burgundy turned out to be amazing. The pictures on the website are accurate and the color is a dark brown burgundy. I recommend this bible to anyone who is looking for a bible to fit what I listed above.
Like many customers reviewing this product, I was searching for a "lifetime" Bible that I could keep, mark up, and treasure until the day I die. Since I've come to regard the NASB as my preferred translation, I was hoping that there would be a NASB that matched three criteria:
(1) It must be wide-margin for taking copious notes and recording my spiritual progress as a follower of Christ (Col. 1:28-29)
(2) It must be text-only, without external notes that tend to distract one's mind and preempt personal, inductive study of the text [Acts 17:11]. I wanted Bible where I could consult others' wisdom in study versions only AFTER wrestling with the text and forming my own initial conclusions. This meant, as well, having a black-only edition of Christ's words, because in my experience red-letter editions tend to skew one's integrative reading of the whole Bible.
(3) It must be genuine leather, to last a lifetime. (And to put what I deem a fitting touch on my personal copy of divine revelation.)
This Bible more than met all of the above criteria. Four months after getting it, I can still smell a whiff of fresh calfskin on the front cover. Besides its space for note-taking, the pages are thick and very durable. (I can't vouch for highlighting - I only use pencil, so that I can erase /edit earlier notes if I want to.)
I, too, was initially put off by the fact that this was an "In Touch" Bible promoted by Charles' Stanley's ministry. Regardless of what I think of Dr. Stanley, I dislike when men or organizations stamp their names on versions of God's Word, as if one person/organization could contain the fullness of divine revelation. However, for those who share this reservation, I can honestly say that for once the label turns out to be just that - a label with no practical ramifications. The opening letter from Dr. Stanley is tucked away at the front of the Bible, and I never see it when I'm back and forth between Bible passages. I would never even have remembered it's a "denominational" Bible if I hadn't spent so much time searching for a Bible.
In addition, when compared to some other genuine leather Bible editions, price-wise this Bible was a real deal.
God has spoken. I used to take that for granted. I don't anymore. (Deut. 4:32-37). One of the best ways I believe I can honor His revelation is obtaining an edition of that revelation that I can really treasure as mine - an edition that I can pore over, pray over, agonize over, and record my race of faith (2 Tim. 4:7) and His faithfulness in until I meet Him in glory (2 Tim. 4:18).
For any brother/sister hunting for that "lifetime" copy of God's Word, I would HIGHLY recommend this treasure!
This is a very good bible that Dr.Charles f Stanley and the Lockman Foundation put out. I am a BIG fan of charles stanley avery saturday or sunday on TV. Like him i've read many translations mostly the N I V. Becouse of the changes in modren tanslations and thanks to DR. stanley. i now read from NASB. Just a note of one of the changes.