In this companion to his bestseller The Universe Next Door, Sire goes beyond his earlier treatment of "worldview" as intellectual answers to a systematic set of questions to consider the more technical possibilities of how philosophical perspectives are formed existentially---as story, way of life, pre-theoretical intuition, and patterns of action. 163 pages, softcover from InterVarsity.
What is a worldview? What lies behind your thoughts about almost everything? For more than thirty years, James W. Sire has grappled with this issue. In this book he offers readers his most mature thought on the concept of a worldview, addressing such questions as
- What is the history of the concept itself?
- What is the first question you should ask in formulating a worldview?
- How are worldviews formed existentially as well as intellectually?
- Is a worldview primarily an intellectual system, a way of life or a story?
- What are the public and private dimensions of a worldview?
- What role can worldview thinking play in assessing your own worldview and those of others, especially in light of the pluralism in today's world?
In his widely used textbook The Universe Next Door,
first published in 1976, Sire offered a succinct definition of a worldview and catalogued in summary fashion seven basic worldview alternatives. Students, critics, new literature and continued reflection have led him to reexamine and refine his definition of a worldview. This companion volume to The Universe Next Door
is the fruit of that effort. Here is an excellent resource for exploring more deeply how and why worldview thinking can aid you in navigating your pluralistic universe.
James W. Sire (PhD, University of Missouri), formerly a senior editor at InterVarsity Press, is an active speaker and writer. He has taught English, philosophy, theology, and short courses at many universities and seminaries. He continues to be a frequent guest lecturer in the United States and Europe. His InterVarsity Press books and Bible studies include (a worldviews textbook), and
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.