One of the giants of American poetry, Walt Whitman brought forth a the new, broad land of American into literary form, creating a masterpiece in the process. Divided into short segments, Leaves of Grass examines the transition from agrarian to urban life, the American identity and love of democracy, and the Transcendentalism of the 1830s and 1840s, presenting us with a picture of American's unique charms and the begininnings of modern literature in the United States.
This enriched classic edition includes even more background information to help you get the most out of your reading, including:A background introduction Timeline of significant events Outline of key themes and plot points Explanatory notes Critical analysis and modern perspectives Discussion Questions
ENDURING LITERATURE ILLUMINATED BY PRACTICAL SCHOLARSHIP
A collection of quintessentially American poems, the seminal work of one of the most influential writers of the nineteenth century.
THIS ENRICHED CLASSIC EDITION INCLUDES:
- A concise introduction that gives readers important background information
- A chronology of the author's life and work
- A timeline of significant events that provides the book's historical context
- An outline of key themes and plot points to help readers form their own interpretations
- Detailed explanatory notes
- Critical analysis, including contemporary and modern perspectives on the work
- Discussion questions to promote lively classroom and book group interaction
- A list of recommended related books and films to broaden the reader's experience
Enriched Classics offer readers affordable editions of great works of literature enhanced by helpful notes and insightful commentary. The scholarship provided in Enriched Classics enables readers to appreciate, understand, and enjoy the world s finest books to their full potential.
SERIES EDITED BY CYNTHIA BRANTLEY JOHNSON
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.