- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- US States▼▲
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Opening with "Steps for Thinking", each lesson is clearly structured and labeled, with teacher notes and any materials needed listed on the side. The main content is interspersed with lesson instructions that are written directly to the child, creating a smooth flow for each day's work.
Lessons include copywork/dictation activities; reader assignments that bring real literature into the curriculum; Parent Read-Aloud, Discussion, Narration, and Reflective Writing activities; and a word study to help students gain contextual vocabularies, as well as improve their spelling skills. Geography, Science and History connections weave history together with geography, while the Charlotte Mason approach to science helps children observe, record, and evaluate nature. Writing exercises are integrated throughout as a response to lessons, while drawing activities help students to improve their powers of observation. "Doing" activities help students think through the information they've learned, while receiving additional motivation.
The included Student Notebook (to be downloaded with registration code) serves as a portfolio of student work with maps, charts, copywork passages for lower grades, unit games, and checklists. While the first edition featured a CD-ROM, this 2nd edition code allows for access to the most recently updated digital downloads.
This second edition features a number of updates and improvements:
- Lessons now include spelling lists that are geared to the literature, while often directing focus to specific spelling strategies.
- New games include spelling scrambles and spelling word searches.
- Age-appropriate grammar concepts are reinforced through practice and games.
- Two new books in the Pilgrims unit, Sarah Morton's Day and Samuel Eaton's Day, help children get a feel for life from a child's perspective in that time period.
- Unit summaries provide a glimpse of what is covered for each six weeks, including materials and resources used.
- The two appendices are now combined into one and arranged by unit rather than by topic.
- The teacher section includes lesson at a glance charts, challenge spelling words, vocabulary lists, and more.
Vendor: Geography Matters
Publication Date: 2013
Availability: In Stock
Series: Trail Guide to Learning
Daniel Boone's Own Story & The Adventures of Daniel BooneDaniel Boone, Frances Lister HawkesDover Publications / 2010 / Trade Paperback$4.99 Retail:
$5.95Save 16% ($0.96)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW476903