- Books of the Bible▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 1149
Vendor: Thomas Nelson
Publication Date: 1998
Dimensions: 9.50 X 6.50 X 1.75 (inches)
Availability: In Stock
The Works of Josephus: Updated Edition, Complete and UnabridgedWilliam Whiston, trans.Hendrickson Publishers / 1987 / Hardcover$12.99 Retail:4.5 Stars Out Of 5 15 Reviews
$24.95Save 48% ($11.96)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW73868
Encounter the world and traditions that Jesus knew. Illuminate your understanding of the New Testament. In The Complete Works you will discover what the New Testament writers knew about Abraham, Moses, Samuel, David, and Solomon and examine an in-depth history of Herod and his infamous family.
Josephus left us the earliest independent accounts of the lives of Jesus, John the Baptist, and James the brother of Jesus. Much of what we know about the beliefs of the Sadducees and Pharisees comes from Josephus. Without Josephus, we would know very little about the Essenes, the ancient Jewish group most frequently associated with the Dead Sea Scrolls.
- The War of the Jewsan account of the Jewish revolt against Rome up to the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem
- The Antiquities of the Jewsa history of the Jews from Creation to the Roman occupation of Palestine
- The Life of Flavius Josephusthe autobiography of Josephus, who fought against Rome and later served the empire
- Against Apiona defense of the origin of Judaism in the face of Greco-Roman slanders
- Discourse to the Greeks Concerning Hadesa text Whiston attributed to Josephus
- Index of parallels between Josephuss Antiquities and the Old Testament including the Apocrypha
About Flavius Josephus
Josephus was a first-century Pharisee, soldier, informant to the Romans, and writer. He left behind the most extensive writings on ancient Jewish history still in existence.
Mathews TeamNew MexicoAge: Over 65Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5September 8, 2011Mathews TeamNew MexicoAge: Over 65Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5I had this in a 4-volume set, but a friend wanted to borrow volume 1. He died before he returned it, and I have no idea what his adult kids did with it. I was fearful that the print in a one book edition would be too small for me, but I was delightfully surprised. Great book!
JuneBugVaAge: 45-54Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5May 3, 2011JuneBugVaAge: 45-54Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5Haven't read the whole book yet but I am extremely satisfied with it so far.I wish that I had purchased and read it when I was younger..... Oh well..... I'm enjoying it now !
Taryn Edwards5 Stars Out Of 5July 6, 2008Taryn EdwardsVery interesting, to get some of the background of Jewish customs, history, and so on. Really helps deepen my understanding of the Bible.