- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Buy in Bulk
- Christian Living
- Church & Pastoral
- Church Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- eBooks On Sale
- Gift & Home
- Last Chance Bargains
- Mega Fall Sale
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Sunday School
Penned by Charles Merrill Smith in response to his teenage granddaughter's questions, the manuscript was discovered after Smith's death and has been reworked by his friend James Bennett for a wider audience. Free of theological or sectarian slant, this little volume provides a concise, factual overview of the Bible's construction throughout history, outlining how its various books were written and collected and later canonized and translated.
Written in an easy conversational style and enhanced by two helpful appendices (of biblical terms and dates), How th Bible Was Built will give a more informed understanding of the Bible to people of virtually any reading level and any religious persuasion.
Number of Pages: 97
Vendor: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
Publication Date: 2005
|Dimensions: 8.25 X 5.25 X .50 (inches)|
Availability: In Stock
Other Customers Also Purchased
Predestination: The American Career of a Contentious DoctrinePeter ThuesenOxford University Press / 2009 / Hardcover$16.49 Retail:4 Stars Out Of 5 2 Reviews
$35.95Save 54% ($19.46)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW174274
Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons From an Emerging Missional ChurchMark DriscollZondervan / 2006 / Trade Paperback$12.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 4 Reviews
$18.99Save 32% ($6.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW70168Video
The Bible in the British Museum: Interpreting the EvidenceT.C. MitchellPaulist Press / Trade Paperback$15.99 Retail:
$22.95Save 30% ($6.96)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW142929
How to Study the Bible, Powerpoint CD-ROMRose Publishing / 2010 / Compact disc$29.99 Retail:
$39.99Save 25% ($10.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW64325X
How We Got the Bible Pamphlet - 5 PackRose Publishing / Other$12.50 Retail:
$19.95Save 37% ($7.45)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW947057
Did you know?
- The word Bible” comes from biblion, a Greek word meaning papyrus scroll.”
- It took several thousand years to construct the Bible.
- The book we call Deuteronomy was discovered hidden away in a dark corner during the reconstruction of the temple under King Josiah.
- The Apocrypha contains some of the earliest detective” stories on record.
- Church councils had many disagreements about which books ought to be authoritative (a book called the Shepherd of Hermas almost made the cut; the book of Revelation almost didn’t).
- A heretic helped form the canon.
- Debate over the canon didn’t really end until the Protestant Reformation and the use of the printing press.