- All Products
- Church Historyhttp://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?event=EBRN&N=5401&Ne=1014658&Nso=1&Nu=product%2Eendeca%5Frollup&Ns=product%2Enumber%5Fsold
- Media Type
- Author / Artist
- Top Rated
To explore Jewish perspectives, Weiss looks to the Rabbinic and Qumranic texts, Samaritan texts, and the writings of Philo and of Josephus. To illumine early Christian attitudes, he offers analyses of the Synoptic Gospels, the Gospels of John and Thomas, and the letters to the Galatians, the Romans, the Hebrews, and the Colossians. Weiss uses each text as a window upon the sociological constructs and theological perspectives figuring in early Jewish and Christian thought about worship and rest. He suggests that such perspectives reflect larger theological postures because, as an element of the creation story, the Sabbath became an important cosmological fixed point and a source of eschatological speculation.
With insights gained from his examination of the texts, Weiss identifies the concerns animating Sabbath disputes. He marks out in the beliefs of Jews and early Christians overarching similarities between the two faiths as well as variations within each.
A native of Montevideo educated in Argentina and in the United States, Herold Weiss is professor emeritus of religious studies at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana. For many years he was also an affiliate professor of New Testament in the Hispanic program of Northern Baptist Theological Seminary. Weiss is the author of Paul of Tarsus: His Gospel and Life. He lives in Berrien Springs, Michigan.
Number of Pages: 288
Vendor: University Of South Carolina Press
Publication Date: 2003
|Dimensions: 9.30 X 6.52 X 1.10 (inches)|
Availability: Available to ship on or about 08/29/14.
Cross-Cultural Paul: Journeys to Others, Journeys to OurselvesCharles H. Cosgrove, Herold Weiss, Khiok-khng YeoWm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. / 2005 / Trade Paperback$12.39 Retail:
$28.00Save 56% ($15.61)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW828434
|Email me when this product is available.|
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Church History >> History of Worship
- Academic >> Church History >> World Religions & Interreligious Relations >> Judaism & Christianity
- Books >> Church History >> History of Worship
- Books >> Church History >> World Religions & Interreligious Relations >> Judaism & Christianity
- Start A New Christianbook.com Search