- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Free ePub|
Vendor: Abingdon Press
Publication Date: 2011
Availability: In Stock
In this brief but substantive examination of the prayers Jesus prayed, Stephen Shoemaker offers helpful applications of Jesus prayers as both a way to better understand Jesus and as a way to use his prayers as a model for our own prayer lives. The book addresses our twin hungers for spirituality and for a deeper grasp of who Jesus was. The author takes seriously the way Jesus prayed and how his prayers open a window to our own experience of God. Included are discussions of: the Lords Prayer (Matt. 6:9-13), the Prayer of Thanksgiving amid Lifes Reversals (Matt.11:25-26), the Gethsemane Prayer (Mark 14:36), the Prayers from the Cross (Luke 23:34; Matt. 27:46; Luke 23:46), and prayers from John's Gospel (11:41-42, 12:27, 17:11).
The author stays close to the text of the prayers (sometimes including his own translations) but explores their meaning in our lives. He uses Abba rather than the English translation Father in order to bring the reader closer to Jesus as he spoke the words of each prayer.
A study guide is included to assist leaders in using the book with small groups.
Jesus prayers are a challenge and a scandal to the ways our culture wants to pray. His spirituality, found in his prayers, is a profound guide to the soul and a remedy to a culture in search of a soul. --H. Stephen Shoemaker
Find Related Products
- Christian Living >> Discipleship >> Knowing God
- Christian Living >> Prayer >> General >> Practical Instruction
- Download >> Christian Living >> Discipleship
- Download >> Christian Living >> Prayer
- Download >> eBooks >> Christian Living >> Discipleship
- Download >> eBooks >> Christian Living >> Prayer
- eBooks >> Christian Living >> Discipleship >> Knowing God
- eBooks >> Christian Living >> Prayer >> General
- Start A New Christianbook.com Search