- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Resource Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
|Format: PDF Download|
Vendor: Master Books
Publication Date: 2004
Availability: In Stock
Numbers surround us. Just try to make it through a day without using any. It's impossible: telephone numbers, calendars, volume settings, shoe sizes, speed limits, weights, street numbers, microwave timers, TV channels, and the list goes on and on. The many advancements and branches of mathematics were developed through the centuries as people encountered problems and relied upon math to solve them. For instance:
- What timely invention was tampered with by the Caesars and almost perfected by a pope?
- Why did ten days vanish in September of 1752?
- How did Queen Victoria shorten the Sunday sermons at chapel?
- What important invention caused the world to be divided into time zones?
- What simple math problem caused the Mars Climate Orbiter to burn up in the Martian atmosphere?
- What common unit of measurement was originally based on the distance from the equator to the North Pole?
- Does water always boil at 212? Fahrenheit?
- What do Da Vinci's Last Supper and the Parthenon have in common?
- Why is a computer glitch called a "bug"?
It's amazing how ten simple digits can be used in an endless number of ways to benefit man. The development of these ten digits and their many uses is the fascinating story you hold in your hands: Exploring the World of Mathematics.
John Hudson Tiner received five National Science Foundation teaching fellowships during his 12 years as a teacher of mathematics and science that allowed him to study graduate chemistry, astronomy, and mathematics. He also worked as a mathematician and cartographer for the Defense Mapping Agency, Aerospace Center in St. Louis, MO.
Tiner has received numerous honors for his writing, including the Missouri Writers Guild award for best juvenile book for Exploring the World of Chemistry. He and his wife, Jeanene, live in Missouri.
Other Customers Also Purchased
77 Fairly Safe Science Activities for Illustrating Bible Lessons - eBookDonald B. DeYoungBaker Books / 2013 / ePub$8.89 Retail:
$13.99Save 36% ($5.10)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW40250EB
Long War Against God: The History & Impact of the Creation/Evolution Conflict - eBookHenry M. MorrisMaster Books / 2000 / ePub$7.99 Retail:
$9.99Save 20% ($2.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW28021EB
Exploring The World of Chemistry - PDF Download [Download]John Hudson TinerMaster Books / 2006 / PDF Download$6.99 Retail:
$9.99Save 30% ($3.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW3905DF
Men of Science, Men of God: Great Scientists Who Believed the Bible - eBookHenry M. MorrisMaster Books / 1988 / ePub$4.79 Retail:
$5.99Save 20% ($1.20)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW32123EB