Exploring the Old Testament, Volume 4: A Guide to the Prophets
Email me when this product is available.
- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Buy in Bulk
- Christian Living
- Church & Pastoral
- Church Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- eBooks On Sale
- Gift & Home
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Sunday School
Features & Benefits
- Introduces the prophets of Israel and their writings
- Highlights the historical and theological context of the prophets
- Aids teachers and students with discussion ideas and questions
- Features "Digging Deeper" panels that explore select topics in greater detail
- Provides "Further Reading" suggestions with select commentaries and studies on each book in the Pentateuch
- Includes suggestions for research, debate and essay assignments
- Includes maps, charts and diagrams
- Up to date, reliable and balanced
- Makes scholarship accessible to contemporary students and readers
- Fourth in a four-volume series covering the Old Testament
Number of Pages: 272
Vendor: IVP Academic
Publication Date: 2008
|Dimensions: 10.00 X 7.00 (inches)|
Availability: No longer available.
Email me when this product is available.
Other Customers Also Purchased
Cracking Old Testament Codes: A Guide to Interpreting the Literary Genres of the Old TestamentD. Brent Sandy, Ronald Giese, Jr.B&H Books / 1995 / Trade Paperback$19.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 2 Reviews
$29.99Save 33% ($10.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW2109X
The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah, Updated EditionAlfred EdersheimHendrickson Publishers / 1993 / Hardcover$16.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 8 Reviews
$29.95Save 43% ($12.96)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW75834
Exploring the Old Testament, Volume 1: A Guide to the PentateuchGordon J. WenhamIVP Academic / 2008 / Hardcover$19.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 4 Reviews
$30.00Save 33% ($10.01)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW825417
Exploring the Old Testament, Volume 3: A Guide to the Psalms & Wisdom LiteratureErnest C. LucasInterVarsity Press / 2008 / Trade Paperback$19.99 Retail:
$30.00Save 33% ($10.01)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW825431
Themes and Transformations in Old Testament ProphecySamuel A. MeierIVP Academic / 2009 / Trade Paperback$22.50 Retail:
$25.00Save 10% ($2.50)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW817689
- issues in critical interpretation
- the place of the prophetic books in the Old Testament canon
- the social location of biblical prophets
- contemporary applications of the prophetic books
- dates and destinations of the prophecies of each of the books
- theological contributions of the prophetic books
- an overview of literary criticism on the Prophets
In this textbook you will find double-column formatting for ease of use, annotated bibliographies for further reading, sidebar explorations of select historical and textual topics in greater detail, a glossary of terms, and relevant charts and maps.
Jimmy ReaganWest Union, OHAge: 35-44Gender: male4 Stars Out Of 5An AssetJuly 7, 2016Jimmy ReaganWest Union, OHAge: 35-44Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5Here is a highly-respected reprint in paperback of a title by Gordon McConville on the Old Testament prophets. Covering both the Major and Minor Prophets, this book gives the extra coverage needed for an in-depth study of these special books of the Old Testament.
His brief Introduction establishes the issues involved in beginning study of the prophets and their place in the Bible. Then he launches into a chapter for each prophetic book of the Old Testament. Chapter length corresponds well to length of book.
He begins each study with a discussion of date and destination. Then he will delve into a critical interpretation of the book that will discuss several topics of the book at hand and provide something of a history of interpretation. Next he jumps into structure and outline and covers the contents of the book. He works around to theological themes and concluding topics. He gives a handy list for further reading too.
The book is helpful. He seems to have a little too much fascination with things like form criticism that many Bible students find of little value, but otherwise you will find help. Its not one the flashy introductions aimed more at beginning students as it aims at someone with some theological training under his or her belt. I consider it a handy volume to add to my shelves.
I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255.
TweetyClinton Township, MIAge: 35-44Gender: female5 Stars Out Of 5December 1, 2010TweetyClinton Township, MIAge: 35-44Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 4Meets Expectations: 4I have been using this book for a course I am taking, Moses and the Prophets and it has really helped me with my progres in the course.