- Books of the Bible▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Theological Tradition▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 320
Publication Date: 2006
Dimensions: 9.00 X 6.00 (inches)
Availability: In Stock
Series: Blackwell Bible Commentaries
John Through the Centuries: Blackwell Bible Commentaries [BBC]Mark EdwardsWiley-Blackwell / 2004 / Trade Paperback$41.99 Retail:
$59.95Save 30% ($17.96)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW229078
The Sermon on the Mount Through the Centuries: From the Early Church to John Paul IIJeffrey P. Greenman, Timothy Larsen, Stephen R. SpencerBrazos Press / 2007 / Trade Paperback$31.50Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.CBD Stock No: WW432057
- A bible commentary tracing the reception history of Exodus from Old Testament times, through the Patristic and Reformation periods, to the present day.
- Considers the ways in which Exodus has influenced and has been influenced by history, religion, politics, the arts and other forms of culture in Jewish, Christian and secular settings.
- Looks at how Exodus has served as a tool of liberation and tyranny in a variety of settings.
- Shows how Exodus has been used to shape the identities of individuals and groups.
- Discusses the works of current and past poets, musicians, film-makers, authors and artists influenced by Exodus.
- Addresses uses of Exodus related to American and European history such as the Glorious Revolution, colonialism, the American Revolution, Civil War, Civil Rights Movement, African-Americans, and Native Americans, as well as uses by prominent and little-known historical figures
- Considers the impact of the Ten Commandments and other laws, in legal, political and religious contexts.
- The Blackwell Bible Commentary series is supported by a website at www.bbibcomm.net
Theological Book Review <!--end-->
"The interpretative material is especially rich, in both quantity and significance … This is a mine of information which should both delight and inspire."
Journal for the Study of the Old Testament
"On the history of reception, there is no equal to this fine book. A feast for historians of Western culture!"
International Review of Biblical Studies
"Preachers will enjoy using Exodus through the Centuries by Scott M. Langston, in which the author shows the varying ways in which this key book has been understood, not least by liberation movements down the centuries. Truly a commentary with a difference, offering much illustrative material." Ministry Today
"It is almost impossible to convey the breadth of the scope of this book … A very well researched and interesting book, containing an extensive bibliography, useful biographies and glossary and name and subject indexes. The main strength of this book is the author’s ability to engage with a diversity of sources, traditions and artistic expressions and examine a variety of theological and secular interpretations of the Exodus story with a consistent academic rigour. This book is recommended for all serious students of scripture." Journal of Beliefs & Values
"Langston’s book, and the entire Blackwell series, offers a compact and focussed entrance into sources for the interpretation and reception of the Bible."
Peter D Miscall, Denver, Colorado
“There is much to reflect upon from this presentation of the ‘reception history’ of Exodus across the ages and Scott Langston is to be thanked for his labours.”
Ernest Nicholson, Oxford
"Langston has offered an accessibility to the book of Exodus that opens the imagination … Biblical scholars interested in sociology and anthropology should certainly read this book."
Benjamin Bury, University of Birmingham
“Presents a colorful tapestry … illustrating multiple interpretations … and the sheer creativity of recontextualization … .Langston fills a gap.”
Religious Studies Review