This book is a comprehensive, expert guide to etiquette in China
Whether you're traveling for business or pleasure, or whether your stay will be long or short, your visit to China will be more pleasurable and productive if you understand your host culture and how to work within it. Etiquette Guide to China
is a vital guide for businessmen, tourists, or students travelling to china.
Learn the essentials of interacting, such as manners and etiquette such as how to address people you meet, body language such as if you should bow or shake hands, and how to behave out on the town, in the boardroom or when attending a wedding. Filled with practical advice on minding your manners in China, Etiquette Guide to China
is an indispensible book to read before you travel to china or conduct business and trade with China.
The author, Boye Lafayette De Mente worked in Asia for over thirty years as a journalist and business consultant and has long been considered an authority on East Asian business and the culture of China. In this book, he reveals the historical factors, collective traits and individual qualities that determine how the Chinese interact and do business. His is a true insider's view—whether the topic is the legal framework for business development, or the importance of social relationships in China.
This book is broken in to several parts:
- Part I The Middle Kingdom including—The Origins of Chinese Etiquette, The New China, and Cultural Influences on Chinese Etiquette
- Part II Minding Your Manners in China including—Personal Etiquette in China and Chinese Meals and Celebrations
- Part III Business in China including—Foreigners and the Chinese Way of Doing Business and Cultural Influences Vital in Chinese Business
- Part IV Negotiating in China including—The Chinese Way of Negotiating, Preparing to Negotiate in China, What to Expect While Negotiating, Business Entertainment, When You Are a Host in Your Own Country
- Also included is an extensive Appendix which includes personal, family, corporate and government titles as well as useful words and expressions in Mandarin Chinese
Boye Lafayette De Mente has been involved with Japan, China, and Korea since the late 1940s as a member of a U.S. intelligence agency, student, trade journalist, editor, and author working out of Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, and Singapore. He is a graduate of Jochi University in Tokyo and The American Institute for Foreign Trade (now Thunderbird: The School of Global Management). His 70-plus books include Japan's Cultural Code Words, Business Guide to Japan, and Japan Unmasked.
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.