- Books of the Bible▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
"Loader's monograph provides a significant and positive contribution to contemporary study of the Book of Jubilees. His focus on the role of sexuality in the thought-world of Jubilees synthesizes many important studies of Jubilees. He models the value of sustained attention to the vocabulary of sexuality---in Ethiopic, Latin, and Hebrew---and translation patterns, but also charts the sustained and often surprising aspects of sexuality in a number of key narratives. Consistent with patterns of literature of this genre, sexuality is seen as incompatible with sacred time and space, but Loader finds surprisingly positive views of sexuality and its unitive power, particularly in his subtle reading of the story of Eden. This work on Jubilees models the fruitful use of various methods to push forward the limits of our knowledge of this topic."
-John C. Endres, S.J., Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley
William Loader is an Australian Research Council Professorial Fellow at Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia. His other books include The Christology of the Fourth Gospel and The Johannine Epistles.
Number of Pages: 352
Vendor: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
Publication Date: 2007
|Dimensions: 9.25 X 6ÃÂ¼ (inches)|
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.
The New Testament with Imagination: a Fresh Approach to Its Writings and ThemesWilliam LoaderWm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. / 2007 / Trade Paperback$16.20 Retail:
$18.00Save 10% ($1.80)Availability: Out of StockCBD Stock No: WW827461
Geography in Early Judaism and Christianity: The Book of JubileesJames M. ScottCambridge University Press / Hardcover$157.50Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW80812X
Enoch & Qumran Origins: New Light on a Forgotten ConnectionGabriele BoccacciniWm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. / 2005 / Trade Paperback$45.45 Retail:
$50.50Save 10% ($5.05)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW28789
Enoch, Levi, and Jubilees on Sexuality marks a first stage in William Loader's research on attitudes toward sexuality in Judaism and Christianity of the Hellenistic Greco-Roman era. Loader first discusses the early Enoch literature relevant to the theme, focusing on the impact of an ancient myth on the writings and examining how sexual deeds are not here concerned with sexual wrongdoing. He then examines the weight of such wrongdoing in the priestly instruction of the fragmentary Aramaic Levi Document as a whole. He finally considers Jubilees as a cumulative work, building on both the Enoch tradition and the instruction of Levi, and reveals a range of devices warning against sexual depravity. Loader's aim throughout is to interpret the works from within, examining literary form, context, sequence, and tradition and redaction, reflecting engagement with current research in this area.
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Extra-Biblical Texts >> Pseudepigraphic Texts >> Old Testament Era
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Old Testament Studies >> OT Socio-Historical Studies
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies >> Ancient Near East
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies >> OT Socio-Historical Studies
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> Extra-Biblical Texts >> Pseudepigraphic Texts >> Old Testament Era
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> Old Testament Studies >> OT Socio-Historical Studies
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies >> Ancient Near East
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies >> OT Socio-Historical Studies
- Start A New Christianbook.com Search