The English Bible, King James Version: Volumes 1 & 2
- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Buy in Bulk
- Christian Living
- Church & Pastoral
- Church Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- eBooks On Sale
- Gift & Home
- Last Chance Bargains
- Mega Fall Sale
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Sunday School
In celebration of the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, these long-awaited volumes bring together succinct introductions to each biblical book, detailed explanatory annotations, and a wealth of contextual and critical materials. Archaic words are explained, textual problems are lucidly discussed, and stylistic features of the original texts are highlighted.
Volume I Old Testament
Judicious and economical, the introductions and annotations to the Old Testament give readers without Hebrew an entry into complexities of biblical literature, reconstructing its original contexts, tracing its evolution, and pointing out productive strategies of reading. Incorporating the insights of modern biblical scholarship as well as centuries of pre-critical interpretation, they offer essential guidance to a labyrinthine world, while respecting the text's integrity.
The historical and critical appendix comprises three distinct collections.
- A section on ancient Near Eastern backgrounds presents the myths, hymns, prayers, and legal codes that informed the creation of the Hebrew Bible.
- A historical anthology of biblical interpretation gathers—for the first time in one volume—generous selections from the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim traditions, along with classics of secular commentary.
- A final section devoted to the question of translation includes significant English versions from Wycliffe to the present.
Volume II New Testament
For the New Testament and the Apocrypha, the introductions and annotations by Austin Busch and Gerald Hammond provide necessary historical and cultural background, while illuminating the complexity of the original texts. Supporting materials are divided into five sections.
- "Historical Contexts" excerpts Greek, Roman, and Jewish sources, such as Josephus, Philo, Tacitus, Pliny, and the Dead Sea Scrolls. Selections from Papias, Marcion, and Valentinus, among others, provide insight into the diversity of early Christianity.
- "Exegesis" explores classic New Testament commentary from Origen and Augustine to Strauss, Nietzsche, Wrede, and Schweitzer, focusing on the Gospels' vexing relationship to history. Essays by contemporary scholars and critics complete the section by exemplifying a range of interdisciplinary approaches to New Testament literature.
- This volume collects a wide selection of lyric poems, hymns and spirituals, and epics, from the Dream of the Rood to works by Countee Cullen, Elizabeth Bishop, and Anthony Hecht.
- Case studies designed to stimulate classroom discussion trace the development of Pontius Pilate as a character in post-biblical literature, follow the centuries-long exegetical debate about Romans 7, and survey competing hermeneutical approaches to Revelation.
- A final section samples fifteen translations of 1 Corinthians 13, from Wycliffe to contemporary versions.
Time lines, chronologies, diagrams, and maps are included in both volumes.
This Product Contains The Following Items
|The English Bible, King James Version: The Old Testament|
|The English Bible, King James Version: The New Testament and the Apocrypha|
Vendor: WW Norton
Publication Date: 2011
|Dimensions: 9.00 X 7.00 (inches)|
Availability: In Stock
Other Customers Also Purchased
The Shape of Faith to Come: Spiritual Formation and the Future of DiscipleshipBrad WaggonerB&H Books / 2008 / Hardcover$17.99 Retail:
$19.99Save 10% ($2.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW448240
The Story of Christianity: A Chronicle of Christian Civilization From Ancient Rome to TodayJean-Pierre IsboutsNational Geographic / 2014 / Hardcover$26.99 Retail:
$40.00Save 33% ($13.01)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW213871
Battles Men Face: Strategies to Win the War WithinGregory L. Jantz, Ann McMurrayRevell / 2012 / Trade Paperback$12.59 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 1 Reviews
$13.99Save 10% ($1.40)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW719692
The English Bible, King James Version: The Old Testament and the New Testament and the Apocrypha: A Norton Critical EditionEdited by Herbert Marks, Gerald Hammond & Austin BuschWW Norton / 2013 / Trade Paperback$37.49 Retail:
$49.95Save 25% ($12.46)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW347045
Q: what is the font size ?
The font size is 10 point.