- All Products
- Church & Pastoralhttp://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?event=EBRN&N=5401&Ne=1119351&Nso=1&Nu=product%2Eendeca%5Frollup&Ns=product%2Enumber%5Fsold
- Grade Level
- Media Type
- Theological Tradition
- Guides & Workbooks
- Author / Artist
- Top Rated
- At least 10% off
- At least 20% off
- At least 30% off
- At least 40% off
- At least 50% off
- At least 60% off
- At least 70% off
- At least 80% off
|Format: Word Document|
Vendor: Christianity Today
Publication Date: 2009
|Availability: In Stock|
Series: Christian Living Bible Study
Knowing we have reliable standards by which to measure our efforts stretches our understanding of the gospel.
Doctrine divides; service unites. This is the slogan of many ecumenical Christian groups. Doctrine is what differentiates one Christian denomination from another. Because much of the disagreement among Christians seems petty and divisive, the trend is to ignore and even eliminate doctrinal teaching in the church. James Hitchcock believes, however, that doctrine has its place in the Christian faith that one cannot have a deep and dynamic spiritual life without it.
Table of Contents
SCRIPTURE: Matthew 5:38 48, 16:13 17, 23:1 7, 23 28; John 7:14 18; 1 Corinthians 2:12 3:3; 13:1 3, 8 13; Ephesians 4:11 16; 2 Peter 3:15 18; 1 John 4:1 3
Why is doctrine under suspicion today? For what reasons do many Christians feel it is unnecessary?
In seeking to adapt Christian doctrine to the philosophies and concerns of each age, how can theologians keep doctrine from straying away from the gospel?
What is doctrine? Read Matthew 16:13 17. Why is this a statement of doctrine? Where do doctrinal statements come from according to v. 17?
Read John 7:14 18. What is the key to knowing the truth?
Sample application questions:
Which doctrines are most important to your spiritual growth and relationship with God? What role do these doctrines play in your faith?
Which doctrines would you choose to communicate to an unbeliever?
ARTICLE FROM CHRISTIANITY TODAY
Boundary Markers for Belief, by James Hitchcock (1988)
You have permission to make up to 1,000 copies for use in your local church.
Find Related Products
- Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Download
- Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Study Guides >> Biblical Subjects >> Tough Questions
- Church & Pastoral >> Small Group Resources >> Study Guides >> Biblical Subjects
- Download >> Bible Studies >> Biblical Subjects
- Download >> Church & Pastoral >> Small Group Resources
- Start A New Christianbook.com Search