- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 496
Publication Date: 2008
|Dimensions: 8.00 X 5.31 (inches)|
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.
Discovering God: The Origins of the Great Religions and The Evolution of BeliefRodney StarkHarperOne / 2007 / Hardcover$18.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 1 Reviews
$25.95Save 27% ($6.96)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW173899
One True God: Historical Consequences of MonotheismRodney StarkPrinceton University Press / 2001 / Trade Paperback$32.89Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW115001
The Rise of Christianity: A Sociologist Reconsiders ReligionRodney StarkCalif Princeton Fulfilment / 1996 / Hardcover$78.69Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW7498
Winner of the 2008 Christianity Today Award of Merit in Theology/Ethics
The History of God
In Discovering God, award-winning sociologist Rodney Stark presents a monumental history of the origins of the great religions from the Stone Age to the Modern Age and wrestles with the central questions of religion and belief.
Rodney Stark is the Distinguished Professor of the Social Sciences at Baylor University. His thirty books on the history and sociology of religion include The Rise of Christianity, Cities of God, For the Glory of God, Discovering God, and The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success. Stark received his Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Despite decades of faulty reports that early religions were crude muddles of superstition, it turns out that primitive humans had surprisingly sophisticated notions about God and Creation.
- The idea of "sin" appeared suddenly in the sixth century BCE and quickly reshaped religious ideas from Europe to China.
- Some major world religions seem to lack any plausible traces of divine inspiration.
- Ironically, some famous figures who attempted to found "Godless" religions ended up being worshiped as Gods.
“[A] wide-ranging investigation...serious students of religion will recognize this as an essential sourcebook.”
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Theology >> Culture
- Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Doctrine of God
- Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Revelation
- Academic >> Theology >> Religion & Society
- Books >> Theology >> Culture
- Books >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Doctrine of God
- Books >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Revelation
- Books >> Theology >> Religion & Society
- Non-Fiction >> History >> World History
- Non-Fiction >> Religion
- Start A New Christianbook.com Search