- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 496
Publication Date: 2008
|Dimensions: 8.00 X 5.31 (inches)|
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.
Other Customers Also Purchased
50 People Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Spiritual Giants of the FaithWarren W. WiersbeBaker Books / 2009 / Trade Paperback$8.99 Retail:4.5 Stars Out Of 5 46 Reviews
$17.99Save 50% ($9.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW071942
Be A Better Dad Today: 10 Tools Every Father Needs Unabridged Audiobook on CDGregory Slaytonchristianaudio / 2012 / Compact disc$4.99 Retail:
$24.98Save 80% ($19.99)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW455909
Winner of the 2008 Christianity Today Award of Merit in Theology/Ethics
The History of God
In Discovering God, award-winning sociologist Rodney Stark presents a monumental history of the origins of the great religions from the Stone Age to the Modern Age and wrestles with the central questions of religion and belief.
Rodney Stark is the Distinguished Professor of the Social Sciences at Baylor University. His thirty books on the history and sociology of religion include The Rise of Christianity, Cities of God, For the Glory of God, Discovering God, and The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success. Stark received his Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Despite decades of faulty reports that early religions were crude muddles of superstition, it turns out that primitive humans had surprisingly sophisticated notions about God and Creation.
- The idea of "sin" appeared suddenly in the sixth century BCE and quickly reshaped religious ideas from Europe to China.
- Some major world religions seem to lack any plausible traces of divine inspiration.
- Ironically, some famous figures who attempted to found "Godless" religions ended up being worshiped as Gods.
“[A] wide-ranging investigation...serious students of religion will recognize this as an essential sourcebook.”
Patricia Chadwick5 Stars Out Of 5April 10, 2008Patricia ChadwickThis is a good book that tracks the belief of God from the Stone Age to the present. The author seeks to answer the following question: Is God real or did man invent Him? Discovering God is loaded with information on Christianity as well as other religions and their beginnings. The author is well informed and educated, yet he writes in an easy-reading style as he presents evidence to support his position. What is his position? Read the book and find out!
Discovering God: The Origins of the Great Religions and The Evolution of BeliefRodney StarkHarperOne / 2007 / Hardcover$11.42 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 1 Reviews
$25.95Save 56% ($14.53)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW173899
One True God: Historical Consequences of MonotheismRodney StarkPrinceton University Press / 2001 / Trade Paperback$32.89Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.CBD Stock No: WW115001
The Rise of Christianity: A Sociologist Reconsiders ReligionRodney StarkCalif Princeton Fulfilment / 1996 / Hardcover$78.69Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.CBD Stock No: WW7498
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Theology >> Culture
- Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Doctrine of God
- Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Doctrine of Revelation
- Academic >> Theology >> Religion & Society
- Books >> Theology >> Culture
- Books >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Doctrine of God
- Books >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Doctrine of Revelation
- Books >> Theology >> Religion & Society
- Non-Fiction >> History >> World History
- Non-Fiction >> Religion
- Start A New Search