- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 1168
Vendor: Penguin Classics
Publication Date: 2004
|Dimensions: 7.75 X 5.00 X 2.25 (inches)|
Availability: In Stock
St. Augustine, bishop of Hippo, is one of the central figures in the history of Christianity, and City of God is one of his greatest theological works. Written as an eloquent defence of the faith at a time when the Roman Empire was on the brink of collapse, it examines the ancient pagan religions of Rome, the arguments of the Greek philosophers and the revelations of the Bible. Pointing the way forward to a citizenship that transcends worldly politics and will last for eternity, City of God represents a dramatic turning point in the unfolding of Christian doctrine.
The new introduction by Gill Evans examines the text in the light of contemporary Greek and Roman thought and political change. It demonstrates the importance of religious and literary influences on St. Augustine and his significance as a Christian thinker.
- Includes new introduction, chronology, and bibliography
Erik Cowand5 Stars Out Of 5December 11, 2007Erik CowandA wonderful insight into the Carnal Side of Man, as well as the Spiritual Side of man, represented by the City of Man, and by the City of God. Augustine describes Rome in the carnal side as well as the spiritual side, as well. Another must read, although it will take awhile.
Other Customers Also Purchased
Exploring Creation with Biology 2nd Edition Student NotebookVicki DincherApologia Educational Ministries / 2014 / Spiral Bound$25.49 Retail:
$33.00Save 23% ($7.51)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW124775
Foundations in Personal Finance: Home School Student Text (New Edition)Dave RamseyLampo Group, Inc. / 2014 / Trade Paperback$26.69 Retail:
$29.99Save 11% ($3.30)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW948192
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Church History >> Ancient Writings of the Early Church
- Academic >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Church Fathers
- Academic >> Theology >> Systematic Theology Theologians >> Augustine
- Books >> Church History >> Ancient Writings of the Early Church
- Books >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Church Fathers
- Books >> Theology >> Systematic Theology Theologians >> Augustine
- Start A New Search