Number of Pages: 272
Vendor: T&T Clark International
Publication Date: 2010
|Dimensions: 9.30 X 6.20 (inches)|
Availability: In Stock
Other Customers Also Purchased
The Three Heavens: Angels, Demons and What Lies AheadJohn HageeWorthy Publishing / 2014 / Trade Paperback$10.49 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 3 Reviews
$15.99Save 34% ($5.50)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW953699Video
Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters ChristianityNabeel QureshiZondervan / 2014 / Trade Paperback$9.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 78 Reviews
$16.99Save 41% ($7.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW515020Video
Among the Gentiles: Greco-Roman Religion and ChristianityLuke Timothy JohnsonYale University Press / 2010 / Trade Paperback$29.25Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.CBD Stock No: WW168100
Ancient Jewish and Christian Perceptions of CrucifixionDavid W. ChapmanBaker Academic / 2010 / Trade Paperback$33.09 Retail:
$50.00Save 34% ($16.91)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW039058
The reader is taken from the very first generation of Christians in Rome, a tiny group of Jews who acknowledged Jesus as the Messiah, down to the point when Christianity had triumphed over savage persecution and was on the verge of becoming the religion of the Roman Empire.
Rome was by far the biggest city in the Roman world and this had a profound effect on the way Christianity developed there. It became separate from Judaism at a very early date. The Roman Christians were the first to suffer savage persecution at the hands of Nero. Rome saw the greatest theological movements of the second century thrashing out the core doctrines of the Christian faith.
The emergence of the papacy and the building of the catacombs gave the Roman Church extraordinary influence and prestige in the third century, another time of cruel persecution. And it was in Rome that Constantine's patronage of the Christian faith was most evident as he built great basilicas and elevated the personal status of the Pope.
AnthonyAge: 25-34Gender: male5 Stars Out Of 5Great overview of Roman ChristianityOctober 22, 2013AnthonyAge: 25-34Gender: maleQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5This is the best book I've read on the history of Christians in Rome. The only other book I know of is Peter Lampe's, "Christians at Rome in the First Two Centuries", but it's way too technical.
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> New Testament Studies >> NT Socio-Historical Studies
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies >> Early Church Era
- Academic >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies >> NT Socio-Historical Studies
- Academic >> Church History >> Post-Apostolic & Patristic Studies
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> New Testament Studies >> NT Socio-Historical Studies
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies >> Early Church Era
- Books >> Biblical Studies >> Socio-Historical Studies >> NT Socio-Historical Studies
- Books >> Church History >> Post-Apostolic & Patristic Studies
- Start A New Search