William Grimshaw (1708-1763) Christ's College, was a friend of John Wesley who was one of the first leaders of the 18th century revival. He frequently had 1200 worshippers at his church in Haworth (most outside the building!). Even the modern day Poet Laureate, Ted Hughes, felt his influence.
John Berridge (1716-1793) Clare College, was influenced by Grimshaw and became known as the 'Pedlar of the Gospel' after refusing to obey his Bishop who said he should NOT be preaching to the people in the fields.Henry Venn (1725-1797) Queen's College, was also a leader in the Evangelical Revival and the 'spiritual father' of the Clapham Sect of Social reformers, which included William Wilberforce's campaign against slavery. He was also the mentor to Charles Simeon (1759-1836) Kings College, a founder of the Church Missionary Society and a key consultant for the East India Company on their choice of chaplains, one of whom was his curate.
Sir Marcus Loane was the first Australian Archbishop of Sydney and Primate of the Anglican Church of Australia. He was also Principal of Moore Theological College in Sydney. He has written many acclaimed biographical works. His current occupation is as 'an active nonagerian.'
Number of Pages: 192
Vendor: Christian Focus Publications
Publication Date: 2007
|Dimensions: 8.66 X 5.47 X 0.71 (inches)|
Availability: Expected to ship on or about 06/26/15.
The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce; softcoverJohn PiperCrossway / 2006 / Trade Paperback$10.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 1 Reviews
$14.99Save 27% ($4.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW348142
|Email me when this product is available.|
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Church History >> Evangelicalism
- Academic >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Anglicanism
- Academic >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Evangelicalism
- Academic >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Saints & Notable Figures
- Books >> Biography >> General Biography
- Books >> Church History >> Evangelicalism
- Books >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Anglicanism
- Books >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Evangelicalism
- Books >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Saints & Notable Figures
- Start A New Search