It's almost Thanksgiving and there's a big pumpkin contest in Bear Country. Papa is so sure that his special pumpkin, The Giant, will win especially since he has been feeding it special food, covering it with a blanket at night to keep it warm, and coaxing it to grow. But what happens when Farmer Ben's pumpkin, The Monster, wins the contest? Will the Bears learn to be thankful for what they have?
Format: DRM Protected ePub Vendor: Random House Books for Young Readers Publication Date: 2012 ISBN: 9780449812624
The Bear family might not win the blue ribbon for their entry in the pumpkin contest during the annual Bear Country Thanksgiving Festival, but they do gain a new appreciation of the true spirit of the holiday and all they have to be thankful for.
* Stan and Jan Berenstain were both born in 1923 in Philadelphia. They didn't know each other as children, but met later at school, at the Philadelphia College of Art. They liked each other right away, and found out that the both enjoyed the same kinds of books, plays, music and art.
* During World War II, Stan was a medical assistant in the Army, and Jan worked in an airplane factory. When the war was over, they got married and began to work together as artists and writers, primarily drawing cartoons for popular magazines.
* After having their two sons Leo and Michael, the Berenstains decided to write some funny children's books that their children and other children could read and enjoy.
* Their first published children's book was called The Big Honey Hunt . It was about a family of bears, who later became known as the "Berenstain Bears".
* Over 50 children's books later, Stan and Jan still plan all of their books together -- both write the stories, and both write the pictures. They live outside of Philadelphia in the country.