This is an ideal dictionary for students of the Chinese language
"This small dictionary contains a wealth of information essential to beginning students of Chinese. It meets the growing need for a high–quality, user–friendly dictionary for use by foreigners wishing to learn Chinese. The many example sentences given will also be very helpful to Chinese students of Enlisgh."—Professor Tian Sanji, Dean of the College of Culture, Beijing Language and Culture University
The Beginner's Chinese Dictionary
is specifically designed for learners of Chinese. It covers over 1,800 vocabulary items, including all 1,000+ vocabulary items prescribed for Level A of the standard test of proficiency in Chinese, the Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK). Entries are arranged alphabetically according to the pinyin
transliteration. For each character, the radical and stroke count are given. An analysis of word formation is also provided to aid understanding of how words of two or more syllables are formed. Sample sentences are presented in Chinese characters with pinyin
and English equivalents, to show how each headword should be used. A radical and character index allows quick access to any headword.
- English–Chinese and Chinese–English sections.
- Entries arranged alphabetically by pinyin transliteration.
- Includes all words for standard HSK level A proficiency test.
- Sample sentences demonstrate how to use words correctly.
- Characters and pinyin for all headwords and examples.
- Introduces and explains radicals, stroke counts, and components.
- Key character components are given for easy recognition.
- Useful notes on culture, grammar and usage provided.
Li Dong is an educator with more than 40 years of experience teaching Chinese in China, the UK, the United States and New Zealand. He is the author of Tuttle Beginner's Chinese Dictionary, Tuttle Learner's Chinese-English Dictionary and Tuttle Concise Chinese Dictionary.
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.