Dr. Pimsleur's extremely accessible and successful program teaches you language in the same way a native speaker would-through exposure to everyday, normal conversations. Instead of chopping up a foreign language into a little but of grammar with a dash of vocabulary, he presents the language as a complete course. And rather than memorizing repetitive drills that only dull learning, Dr. Pimsleur's "input/output" system of learning actually challenges your brain. By teaching information, and afterwards asking you to recall what you've learned, your brain transitions the language from short term to long term memory, leading to successful fluency.
This course is audio based; 5 CDs are included with two 30 minute lessons per CD. There are no workbooks and notetaking is discouraged as speaking and listening is emphasized. CDs come in a black, zippered CD case. This course teaches what is known as "Eastern Arabic", which is primarily spoken in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Palestine, but is well understood throughout the Arabic speaking world.
Eastern Arabic is the dialect spoken in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, and Palestine. Eastern Arabic is also very well understood in the eastern and southeastern parts of the Arab world -- Arabia, the Gulf Region, and Iraq. Pimsleur's Eastern Arabic is based on the dialect of Damascus, Syria. Arabic (Eastern), Basic
The Pimsleur® Method: the easiest, fastest way to learn a new language. Completely portable, easily downloadable, and lots of fun. You'll be speaking and understanding in no time flat!
- Ten 30-minute lessons of spoken Eastern Arabic language instruction. These 10 lessons are the same as the first 10 lessons in the Pimsleur Comprehensive Level I program.
- Each lesson includes an introductory conversation, and new vocabulary and structures and includes practice for vocabulary introduced in previous lessons.
- Essential grammar and vocabulary that teach you greetings, numbers, how to order food and drinks, and to give and ask for directions.
- Learn to speak with near-native pronunciation.
- No mindless repetition! Converse with native speakers in natural (and useful!) conversations.
- Easy, fast, fun and effective language acquisition.
- Completely Audio - anytime, anywhere. No computer necessary! Unlike expensive software programs which tie learners to a computer, Pimsleur courses are available in CD or mp3 format to meet your needs.
Dr. Paul Pimsleur devoted his life to language teaching and testing and was one of the worlds leading experts in applied linguistics. After years of experience and research, Dr. Pimsleur developed The Pimsleur Method based on two key principles: the Principle of Anticipation and a scientific principle of memory training that he called "Graduated Interval Recall." This Method has been applied to the many levels and languages of the Pimsleur Programs.
"Pimsleur programs provide plenty of positive reinforcement that will keep learners on track, and we found that Pimsleur gave us more proficiency and confidence in speaking the new language than any of the other language programs we reviewed." -- AudioFile Magazine
"EXTREMELY ACCESSIBLE...each section within the lessons is short enough to hold our attention, and there is enough repetition to teach even those who consider themselves slow learners...Pimsleur [programs] are extremely thorough and easy to use -- quite lively!" -- Boston Herald
"Learn French while commuting, German while jogging, Spanish (or Russian, Italian, and Japanese) while cooking all with NO WRITTEN MATERIALS!" -- New York Daily News
"Designed for the ear and not the eye...the lessons provide PERFECT 30-minute bites of work." -- St Louis Post-Dispatch
"Learn to habla español or parlez français before your next trip aboard. The interactive LESSONS CHALLENGE STUDENTS to use new words in conversation instead of memorize them." -- American Way (American Airlines inflight magazine)
"I tried other language programs with little success...This is the best by far!" -- Pamela A. Mitchell, Pilot, International Society of Women Airline Pilots
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.