Arianism has been called the "archetypal Christian heresy" because it denies the divinity of Christ. In his masterly examination of Arianism, Rowan Williams argues that Arius himself was actually a dedicated theological conservative whose concern was to defend the free and personal character of the Christian God. His "heresy" grew out of an attempt to unite traditional biblical language with radical philosophical ideas and techniques and was, from the start, involved with issues of authority in the church. Thus, the crisis of the early fourth century was not only about the doctrine of God but also about the relations between emperors, bishops, and"charismatic" teachers in the church's decision-making. In the course of his discussion, Williams raises the vital wider questions of how heresy isdefined and how certain kinds of traditionalism transform themselves into heresy.
Augmented with a new appendix in which Williams interacts with significant scholarship since 1987, this book provides fascinating reading for anyone interested in church history and the development of Christian doctrine.
Number of Pages: 384
Vendor: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
Dimensions: 9 X 6 X 1 (inches)
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.
Christ on Trial: How the Gospel Unsettles Our JudgmentRowan WilliamsWm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. / 2003 / Trade Paperback$10.99 Retail:
$16.00Save 31% ($5.01)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW24969
The Mystery of the Eucharist in the Anglican Tradition: What Happens at Holy Communion?H.R. McAdoo, Kenneth W. Stevenson, Rowan WilliamsWipf & Stock / 2008 / Trade Paperback$27.00Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.CBD Stock No: WW082102
Where God Happens: Discovering Christ in One AnotherRowan WilliamsRandom House / 2007 / Trade Paperback$17.96 Retail:
$19.95Save 10% ($1.99)Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.CBD Stock No: WW303900
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Academic >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Persecution & Martyrdom
- Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Christology
- Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology >> Patristic Theology
- Academic >> Theology >> Topics of Debate
- Books >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Books >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Persecution & Martyrdom
- Books >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Christology
- Books >> Theology >> Historical Theology >> Patristic Theology
- Books >> Theology >> Topics of Debate
- Start A New Search