- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 176
Dimensions: 8.5 X 5.5 (inches)
Availability: In Stock
The Twilight of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern WorldAlister E. McGrathRandom House, Inc / 2006 / Trade Paperback$10.99 Retail:
$15.99Save 31% ($5.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW500629
- A short, accessible book on the history of heaven.
- Draws together representations of heaven by a wide range of writers, theologians, politicians and artists.
- Covers literary works such as Dante's Divine Comedy, Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, and the poems of George Herbert.
- Considers discussions by Marx and Freud of heaven's role in society.
- Based on serious scholarship but is ideal for the non-specialist who wants to learn more about the idea of heaven.
- Alister E. McGrath is one of today's best-known Christian writers.
"Bringing together literature, theology, politics and the arts, this fascinating book traces the remarkable influence that the idea of heaven has had - and continues to have - on western culture." Publishing News
"It is delightfully lucid and insightful...Recommended for large public libraries as well as academic libraries offering a variety of Christian religious courses." Joyce Smothers, Library Journal
"Though clearly a scholar, McGrath transcends the drone of the academic dissertation, offering an accessible and thorough narrative. Using the rich visual imagery of heaven, McGrath has created a fascinating kaleidoscope for viewing the evolution of Christian worship." Publishers Weekly
"Pick of the week...It's an ambitious, immensely accessible, erudite and entertaining exploration of the way the idea of heaven has been constructed over the centuries." The Saturday Age
Other Customers Also Purchased
The Dust off Their Feet: Transitioning the Church to Conform to His Will--Then/NowChris SeayThomas Nelson / 2006 / Trade Paperback$3.49 Retail:
$9.99Save 65% ($6.50)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW23465
Daughters of Thunder: Black Women Preachers and Their Sermons, 1850-1978Bettye Collier ThomasJohn Wiley & Sons / 1997 / Hardcover$19.99 Retail:
$29.95Save 33% ($9.96)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW09181
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Eschatology
- Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology
- Books >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Books >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Eschatology
- Books >> Theology >> Historical Theology
- Start A New Search