1. Carissa is bitter and disheartened early in the story. What"external influencers" feed her emotional reaction? What
"internal influencers" feed her emotions?
2. When you, like Carissa, are overwhelmed by life, where (or what) is your "Island Hideaway"?
3. How do these verses apply to Carissa's story and to our lives?
1 Peter 5: 7-10.
4. Carissa's emotional baggage from her father's departure affects her marriage. Jot down emotional baggage you might be carrying that is affecting relationships in your life. Share this with the group or with someone you trust if you think it might help you to have accountability in giving the past, present, and future to God. How does 1 Peter 5:7 apply to our baggage?
5. A number of marriages are depicted in this story. List and describe each. What can be learned from each one about successful or less than successful ways of relating to a loved one?
6. What changes took place in Richard and Carissa that caused them to renew their love for each other?