8. How do you feel about how The Green News-Item and the townspeople handle the issue of education? What challenges face education in your area? In what ways might you help people who need to learn to read or to get their GED? Is having a school in Green a clear-cut issue or does it have layers?
9. Katy and Molly are college students in this book. How are their lives similar? How do they differ? How do they learn from each other? Have you ever had a friend who helped you look at the world differently? What do you think will happen to these young women as they continue to mature?
10. Tammy, newspaper clerk and photographer, is adapting to her new marriage and keeping a secret. She also feels she is not worthy of her new husband, Walt, an attorney. What do you think about her struggles? Have you had times in your life when you felt as though you did not fit in? How did you handle those? How is Iris Jo adapting in Rally ’Round Green? In what ways are Tammy and Iris Jo connected, and how do they help
Lois on her journey?
11. Anthony, Molly’s boyfriend and one of Chris’s students, faces unexpected adversity. How does he handle his problems? In what ways does his situation touch others in town? Is there someone in your church, neighborhood, or community who needs encouragement or other help from you as they deal with an accident or illness?
12. Dr. Kevin brings a group of women together to work on a craft. Why does she want to do this? How might these women help each other? In what ways are members of the group similar and how do they differ? Do you have a group you get together with regularly? How do those people help you? What tips would you offer to someone who wants to start a small group?
13. Employees of the Green newspaper believe in making things happen. How does that affect Lois? What are examples of ways the staff helps the community in Rally ’Round Green? Can you give an example from your life when you felt moved to action? What was the outcome?
14. Marti was Lois’s best friend in Ohio. How has their friendship changed since Lois moved to Green? How have your friendships changed through the years? How does Lois feel when Marti suggests a mission trip to Green, and why does Lois react the way she does? How did the trip work out? How might you pull a group together to help someone in need?
15. Relationships are at the heart of life in Green. Lois interacts with a variety of people, from a former hurtful employee to staff members who need her to her new in-laws. How would you describe Lois and the people she cares about? As life unfolds in Green, how do you see Lois growing and changing?