1. In the first chapter, Jayne visits Powell’s Books and starts reading about the Amish and their place in American pop-culture. Why do you think the Amish and Amish-related subjects are so intriguing to our society?
2. What is it about the Amish that you think Jayne is attracted to?
3. Jayne leaves central heating, reliable hot water, and a wireless hot-spot to stay with the Burkholder family. What aspects of your home would you miss most? What would you be the happiest to get away from?
4. Do you think Martha is a good wife and mother?
5. The longer Jayne stays with the Burkholders, the more Sara looks up to her. Why do you think that is?
6. Why do you think Jayne stays in her relationship with Shane for so long?
7. Jayne’s friends take care of each other in very different ways. How do you and your friends help each other?
8. How did you expect Jayne’s mother to respond to her daughter’s return?
9. Why do you think Jayne struggles in her new relationship with Levi?
10. How do you think Sara will respond to the changes in her life?