Please note that some of the questions reveal important plot points. Readers who have not finished the novel may want to stop at this point and return afterward.
1. Do you think being a woman influences the way Isabel ministers to the church? Why do you think the congregation was able to accept Isabel so easily and with so little controversy?
2. Did you sympathize with Richard despite his negative attitude and unwillingness to accept help?
3. When Max gets caught vandalizing the church, he refuses to give his friends’ names to Tucker. Do you think Isabel was right not to pressure him on this?
4. Why do you think Carl and Max form such an unlikely bond while working on the church repairs?
5. Max’s time at the church began as a form of punishment but Jacob eventually started using it as an incentive for his troubled son. Why did this turn out to be such a positive experience for Max?
6. It is certainly true that the heart attack influenced Ben’s decision to retire. What other reasons do you think were as important? Was any other reason more important?
7. Do you think Richard and Regina ever really gave up on each other? Was one more hopeful than the other?
8. How do you think Carolyn really felt about Ben’s final decision not to retire? Do you think he was right to make that decision without talking to her first?
9. Why does Isabel find more meaning in mission work than in a church ministry?
10. Do you think Isabel’s and Jacob’s relationship will continue to grow despite Isabel’s move to Nicaragua and their differences?
11. On Christmas day, Isabel delivered a sermon about the three wise men and their journey to see the Christ baby. She tells the congregation that by following “the star, that shone so brilliantly in the sky, [the Magi] couldn’t distinguish between day and night. In doing so, they traveled ‘without distress or weariness.’” How does this message perfectly embody the spirit of Cape Light and the people who live there?
12. The Bible Regina discovered certainly turned out to be a very valuable “Christmas treasure”. What other treasures were discovered throughout the story?