1. In order to save her baby’s life, what other choices did Evelina have? Did she make the right choice to leave her husband? Why or why not?
2. Other than demon possession, how else might a person with seizures have been viewed in 1477?
3. Once Serena’s secret became known, Evelina was forced to place her faith in God, not in the remote location of the village. How did this change her?
4. What made Serena finally trust Gavin?
5. Back then, the church and king had a power struggle. Was there anyone else who could have helped Serena besides the king? What other options did she have?
6. Do you think there are unique places in the world where people with similarities gravitate toward one another? What did you think of the Village of Outcasts?
7. What role did Phelan, the white wolf, play? Do you think of him as the protector of the village?
8. I chose not to drag out the details of the inquisition and trial, but to give you a glimpse. How do you think it might have really happened?
9. Gavin faced the obstacles of coming from a wealthy family and convincing his clan to accept Serena’s seizures. How did his faith play into his ability to overcome this?
10. Would you have made the same sacrifice for your daughter if you were Evelina?