1. After her fiancé weds her best friend, Katie Miller decides to open a quilt shop in Pleasant Valley, near her cousins, where she won’t be constantly reminded of her loss. Did you understand Katie’s reasons for making the change? Did you think she was running away?
2. Have you ever felt betrayed by someone you loved? How did you handle it? What helped you deal with the betrayal?
3. Katie longs for a shop of her own after working with her mother for so long. Did you understand why she would want to set up on her own?
4. Katie is shocked and a little dismayed that her parents expect her to take on the care of her teenage sister, Rhoda. Do you feel the parents did the right thing by sending Rhoda to live with Katie after her problems with her rumspringa?
5. Caleb Brand is less than thrilled to have a quilt shop occupying the space next to his store. Did you understand his reasons?
6. Do you think the bishop might have had several reasons for thinking that Katie’s shop and Caleb’s would be a good match? Might he have been trying to involve Caleb with the community again?
7. Katie’s relationship with her teenage sister is a difficult one. Which of them did you empathize with the most? Did you understand why Katie felt overwhelmed at times?
8. Did it surprise you to find that Amish teenagers have some of the same rebellious feelings as teenagers in the outside world? Why or why not?
9. Do you think the Amish are wise to allow their teenagers to experience the freedom they do in rumspringa? What are the dangers? What might be the dangers of not allowing it?
10. Katie’s natural energy and enthusiasm found an outlet in working with other merchants to promote the town. Did it surprise you to find that many Amish are businesspeople? What were the varying reactions to their promotion efforts?
11. Katie is nearly cheated by the Englisch dealer, when Caleb intercedes to warn her. Sometimes outsiders think that the Amish will be easy marks because they are perceived as being less well-educated. How do you suppose the Amish might protect themselves from these people?
12. Katie’s relationship with her sister goes through several transitions during their time together. Do you see any of your relationships with teenagers reflected in Katie’s experience? What qualities did Katie have that allowed her to establish a good, strong relationship with her sister?
13. It can sometimes be difficult for Amish people to compete with other businesses which have the advantage of internet advertising, use of computers, etc. Do you think that the quality of their work is a sufficient balance to the disadvantages of their way of life? Have you ever purchased Amish-made goods for that reason?
14. When the vandal strikes Katie’s and Caleb’s shops, that terrible event pushes them to face their deepest feelings. What are some times in relationships that bring out deep emotions? How can couples grow through these experiences?
15. Do you think that Katie and Caleb are well-matched? What qualities do they have that make you feel their relationship will last?