1. At the opening of Digitalis, Colton experiences a flashback and does something that devastates him. Have you ever been at a breaking point that leaves you changed forever, desperate for God’s intervention? What was it that broke you?
2. Colton is a Marine, he has seen combat, and as a sniper, he has killed enemy combatants. Yet without his precise skill, innocent lives would have been lost. Our troops often face horrible accusations by those who have never weathered combat. What are your thoughts about Colton’s profession?
3. Why does Piper conceal her true identity?
4. What are some clues Colton detects that makes him think that perhaps Piper is not who she claims to be?
5. Although Colton is a Christian and seeks to live his life for God, he struggles and wonders why God hasn’t healed him of the flashbacks. Does anything about Colton resonate with you or your life?
6. Have you or a loved one ever endured something painful (an illness, injury, broken relationship) and you wondered why God didn’t supernaturally intervene? Why do you think He does not eradicate our problems or pains?
7. When Piper realizes that despite her attempt to safeguard Colton and his family the enemy has found her, she tries to flee. Have you ever faced a situation that made you want to run away, fearful of the fallout what would occur if you did not? Were your decisions based on your self-preservation instincts or out of a desire to protect others? Ultimately, do you think you made the right decision?
8. In Digitalis, someone tells Colton that “bitterness is not an enemy you can afford.” Bitterness sours our hearts and minds, and the Word tells us that if we do not forgive our brothers, Christ will not forgive us. Most of us have individuals in our lives who cause injury, and it’s very easy to hold a grudge. Is there someone in your life that perhaps God is calling you to release from your anger and forgive? Consider this: are they or that situation/injury worth severing your connection to God and His forgiveness?
9. Isaiah 26:3 says: “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.” This verse helps Colton toward the end of the story. Think back to a turbulent or frightening time or event in your life. Did you sense God’s peace in that moment? Explain.
10. The assassin is searching for someone in the story—and he inadvertently gains an accomplice. What do you think stays the hand of the assassin from killing this innocent?
11. In the second scene of Chapter 32, Piper takes Colton to a specific site. Where is it that she takes him, and what is the significance?
12. It’s a fact that many soldiers returning from a war theater will experience combat-related PTSD or traumatic brain injury (TBI). Many will never seek treatment, instead trying to push through and “get over it.” Do you know anyone who has experienced PTSD or TBI, combat-related or otherwise? How can you show this person your support?
13. The end of Digitalis introduces two new Nightshade team members. Which of these two men intrigues you the most and would you like to see a story about? Why?