6. We don’t know much about Caleb’s background. What do you think drove him to try to rob the mercantile? Did you feel that the others could or should trust Caleb right away? Would you have been able to trust him? Why, with his obvious reservations, do you think Jess acquiesced to Cora’s pleas to give Caleb a second chance?
7. Though they seem incompatible and clash several times at the beginning of the story, Jess and Greta eventually discover how well they complement one another. In your experience, do opposites attract? Is it beneficial or detrimental to a happy and healthy marriage for two people to be so very different?
8. Even after Jess and Greta and Zach and Cora have revealed their true feelings to each other, the couples cannot bring themselves to confess their love to their friends. In the subsequent confusion and discomfort, each of them become more insecure and uncertain of his or her chosen spouse, friends, and own feelings—even though his or her feelings are clearly apparent to everyone around them. Why do you think the couples were so blind and insecure about everything their hearts were telling them? Have you experienced something like this?
9. If you did not read the author’s note at the end of the book, take a moment and read it now. Do you or does someone you love live with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)? Did you recognize the symptoms? How does this disorder impact your life and relationships? What do you do to cope?
10. Granny is a wise and loving woman. She is so important to her grandsons and then to Greta, Cora, and Caleb. Do you have a woman in your life who is able to share her deep wisdom and clear insights with you? Tell the group about her and why you value her.