10) Daniel gets a firsthand look at Catherine and Isaiah during the swimming outing. Why is he softening his attitude toward his sister-in-law?
11) Why does Nathan finally reach out to the English social worker?
12) When the judge has a change-of-heart, Abby has an opportunity to go home. Why does she instead choose to return to her jail cell?
13) Although the Amish rarely display temper, what causes Nathan to lash out at the other grief therapy participants?
14) What sours Abby’s poignant visit with Daniel and her beloved children during their jail visitation?
15) What happened in Isaiah’s past that makes outings among other people, both Amish and English, difficult for him?
16) Why does Abigail change her mind about revealing the person who had supplied the anti-hemorrhage drugs?
17) When Isaiah takes Catherine to his “secret garden,” why does he relent and agree to go to the volleyball party?
18) Abby makes an unlikely friend while incarcerated. How does this friendship benefit both women?
19) While had Nathan stayed away from church services for so long?
20) What is Isaiah missing in his life that makes Catherine bound and determined to teach him to speak, and especially to read?