1. Special Jack Stephanson seems to make everything more difficult for Raleigh, and she seems to resent him for it. But do you sense a romantic spark between them? If so, where? If Raleigh and Jack were dating, what sort of couple would they be?
2. When Raleigh takes her mother to the charismatic church service, the preacher talks about the times in our lives when “the rivers run dry.” Have you ever lived through spiritual drought? How did you restore your spirit -- do you have a personal “rain dance” that works? Every time?
3. Aunt Charlotte once belonged to the Episcopal church but now believes in crystals and charms and New Age philosophies. Why do you think she turned away from the church? Is her response reasonable? Typical? If you’ve known someone who did this, what was your reaction to their change of belief?
4. New places provoke new feelings, and Seattle presents a love-hate relationship for Raleigh. Can you see what she appreciates about this new place? What she seems to hate? Does her homesickness ever distorts reality, or hold her back in some way?
5. Alex VanAlstyne has managed to kept a profound secret from her husband. After he’s learned the truth, do you think they’ll remain married? What would that marriage look like? Do you know couples whose marriages have survived damaging revelations?