6. Nathaniel Mason felt the call of God on his life. What was that call? And why did he ignore it? Have you ever felt the specific call of God on your life to go in a certain direction? Explain what happened, or is still happening.
7. What happened in Nathaniel’s childhood that left a gaping wound in his heart? How does he feel toward his mother at the beginning of the book? What did he value more than anything because of his past?
8. How did Nathaniel’s past and his goals conflict with his attraction toward Hope? What did he learn by the end of the story about her past that helped him see things differently?
9. How did God get Nathaniel’s attention and reinforce His plan that Nathaniel should become a preacher? What things did Nathaniel lose? What things was he able to accomplish through the power of God?
10. Even though Nathaniel was running from God’s call, did God give up on him? Do you believe God can use circumstances and even great loss to guide you in the right direction? Do you have examples from your own life or someone you know?
11. What things did you like about Gavin Keese? What things did you not like? What was his effect on Nathaniel? On Hope? How did he change by the end of the book and why?
12. Though Abigail was willing to do God’s will no matter what, what was her biggest fear? Who helped her overcome it? God sometimes uses the most unlikely people to accomplish his tasks. Can you think of an example in your own life?
13. What caused Captain Poole’s fear of God? Does God still use miracles to get people’s attention? Captain Poole had a reverence for God that seems lacking among many Christians today, and yet he was seeking the truth. What does the Bible say about those who seek God with all their heart?