1. The story begins with Charity’s ploy to get Mitch. How does this very first encounter set the tone for the rest of the story?
2. Mitch is very cautious where Charity is concerned. Do you think Mitch, in the beginning, is too guarded about Charity? How does this affect his feelings toward her?
3. Charity’s friendship with Emma is very close and special. Their bond is close enough to allow them to help one another through some very difficult situations. Have you ever had a very close friend? How have they helped you through difficult situations?
4. Charity’s relationship with Rigan is based on jealousy and deceit. In the end, their relationship proves to be superficial and wrong. How does the foundation of their relationship affect it throughout its duration? How did their relationship affect Mitch?
5. Charity’s schemes to get Mitch back are woven throughout the story. Each scheme, however, seems to end badly for Charity. Have you ever planned something and had it go all wrong? How did it go wrong? What did you do?
6. After bringing Charity back to Boston, Mitch agrees to marry Charity because of her supposed pregnancy. Charity then lies to her parents that the two are already married. Why do you think Charity lied? Do you think she would do it again if she knew the outcome? Have you ever told a lie that continued to get bigger? What did you do?