7. What role does Ethrea Ree play in Daisy Chain? What surprises you about her?
8. What role does Clementine play in the Pepper family dynamic?
9. What redemptive elements do you see in Daisy Chain? Does any good come out of the tragedies of Defiance?
10. We are told that Sissy has a lisp at the beginning of the book, but Jed can’t hear it. Do you think he chooses not to hear it until the end? Does he really hear it then?
11. Jed lives with deep feelings of guilt and regret. What does his story say about living like this? How have you learned to deal with your own guilt or regret?
12. What images—the mural, God’s eye, Ethrea Ree’s roses—accentuate the book’s themes the best? Which resounds the most with you, and why?