6. When we are introduced to Lisa, she steps out of the shower and into the “blurriness” of her life. She says, “I’m neither here nor there.” Discuss how someone can be neither here nor there.
7. In your opinion, which character in this book has had the most difficult life? By the end of the novel, whose life had changed the most?
8. Discuss the Cinderella-like fairy tale, Tam and Cam, from Chapter 13. How does it relate to this story, and in specific, Doan Vien?
9. Betty Jo is a private person but opens up to the Water Lilies about matters of the heart. Do you think her mistrust is warranted? Why or why not?
10. Ernest lives in a different world from the other characters. Discuss his world. Who is Brother Chong? Who is Eldest Fish?