Interview with Al Weir, MD, editorThe Doctor’s Bible
1. What compelled you to provide content for this specialty Bible?
One of my major concerns in life is that doctors learn how to live out their lives authentically for Christ.
2. What is the main theme or point that you want readers to understand when they purchase this Bible?
The additional material is added to help doctors translate God’s word into their specific life situations both at work and at home.
3. Are there some specific lessons you hope readers will learn and apply to their lives after reading your book?
God wishes us to let him live through us in each situation and each moment of our lives, and he is there to help us do so.
4. Do you have a favorite part of the book or a favorite chapter?
I love the Sermon on the Mount—far more important than the material I have added.
5. What makes this product different than any other products that are in circulation today?
We have written a guide for doctors who wish to live their lives authentically for Christ, entitled Practice by the Book. Much of the material we have added to the Doctor’s Bible comes from that resource. The placement of this material in a devotional form within the Bible makes it better connected with God’s word and the addition of ethical principles adds instruction beyond that which we had placed in practice by the Book
6. How does the book intertwine with God's call on your life and how you are currently serving Him?
I have spent the past 20 years of practice as a doctor and as Vice President for campus and Community Ministries for the Christian Medical and Dental Associations with the calling to learn how to become a Christian doctor and then to share it.
7. Do you have a favorite Scripture verse? What is it and why is it important to you?
"Ignoring what they said, Jesus told the synagogue ruler, 'Don’t be afraid, just believe.' " Mk 5:36.
This is the foundation upon which we can face each difficulty of life
8. Are there any authors that either influenced you personally or influenced your style of writing? Who are they and how did they influence you?
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Oswald Chambers, Dostoyevsky From these I have seen the depth of life and connected those depths with our Lord
9. When you are not writing, what do you like to do? Do you have any hobbies?
I love my family, reading, running and the woods