1. A Texan’s Promise revolves around a promise Clayton Proffitt made to his employer. What was that promise, and do you think he fulfilled it?
2. At first glance Vanessa is a terribly vulnerable heroine. However, she’s more than just a woman in danger. What qualities does she display that make her admirable?
3. Did Vanessa and Clayton have a choice about leaving the Circle Z? How do you think things could have been resolved if they had stayed?
4. Clayton and Vanessa come in contact with many people scarred by the war. Who was your favorite person they met along the way?
5. Was Ken right in encouraging Clayton to marry Vanessa? What do you think about his reasons? Was it simply for safety?
6. Miles was as much of a victim as Vanessa. At the beginning of the novel, he hopes to make Price respect him. How was this goal doomed from the start?
7. Lacy was a character who was fairly multifaceted. Although she used people in order to survive, she also did many good deeds. What do you think will happen in her future?
8. Vanessa lies to Clayton several times. First, she lies about what really happened between her and Price. Later, she lies about contacting the bank for money. What do these lies say about her character?