7. When Gabrielle and Brice meet secretly in the woods, why do you think Gabrielle decides not to go with Brice then? Do you think it is because Brice is going off to war or do you think she is still too attached to the Shaker community?
8. After the meeting in the woods Gabrielle is disciplined by the leaders of the community. Her relationship with Sister Mercy changes at this point. Why do you think Sister Mercy treats Gabrielle differently? Do you think it is what Gabrielle did, some change that Sister Mercy perceives in Gabrielle’s attitude, or something else?
9. During her time of constant supervision with sister Helen, Gabrielle is unable to love her as she does the other brothers and sisters in the Shaker community. Why do you think that is? Why do you think sister Helen is so judgmental toward Gabrielle and others in the community?
10. After Gabrielle is disciplined for meeting with Brice in the woods she still faces judgment from some of the Believers. Why do you think they seem unable to forgive her for what she did? If Gabrielle had stayed within the community do you think they would have ever forgiven her? Have you ever found it difficult to forgive someone?
11. When Brice goes to the war up north he meets a young man whose faith touches him. Why do you think Seth’s faith has such an impact on Brice? Why do you think Seth clings so tightly to his faith despite his circumstances?
12. Brice experiences a major turning point in the abandoned cabin up north where he spends the winter. What do you think brings him to that point? What changes in Brice after that?