1. The perennial question is why bad things happen to good people. What gets you through times like Allie suffered?
2. We all have things we’ve done that we struggle with. For a while Rick turned to the bottle to deal with his guilt over Jon’s death. What other crutches do you see people use?
3. Have you ever given up a dream for someone you love? If so, what was it and how did it turn out?
4. Rick was passionate about the plight of abused horses and abused children. What are you passionate about? Does anything move you to action? If not, what is stopping you?
5. As parents we can tend to overprotect our children. Discuss Allie’s relationship with her daughter, the good and the bad.
6. Rick believed love was an action word. Was he right?
7. Can secrets ever be good?
8. The villain allowed revenge to rule his life, and it’s hard to forgive someone who has hurt a loved one. How do you manage it?
9. How do you feel about the fact that Elijah never went looking for his other granddaughter, Allie?
10. Is there a dream for a better life that God has never let die in your heart? What are you going to do about it?