9. Esperanza is convinced Graham wants to have Abigail declared unfit to manage her affairs. Why does she think that? Do you agree?
10. Were you satisfied with Tom Kimura’s response to Lauren’s visit and revelations about Abigail? Why or why not?
11. How might Abigail’s life had been different if she had married Tom Kimura? What might have happened to the diary then?
12. If Lauren hadn’t met Abigail and never read the diary, would her life be different?
13. When Raul takes Lauren up in the plane, she makes the comment, “I’m so small!” Raul tells her, “It’s not always about you.” What does he mean?
14. What do you think Lauren does after she graduates from college? What kind of future do you project for her career-wise?
15. John Peter tells Mercy shortly before her arrest that it “is easier to believe ill of someone than good.” Is he right?
16. What do you think of Mercy’s final act of compassion? Did she do the right thing?
17. The Shape of Mercy is a story about choices, stigma, and pre-conceived notions. Did you learn anything new about yourself in regard to these themes?