|The NRSV HarperCollins Study Bible, Revised and Updated Hardcover with Apocryphal and Deuterocanonical Books|
CBD Price: $27.49
( In Stock )
The landmark general reference Bible that offers the full text of the New Revised Standard Version, now completely revised and updated by leading biblical scholars, including, new introductions and notes, diagrams, charts and maps—25% revised or new material.
After 10 years of new archeological discoveries and changes in biblical studies, it was time for an overhaul of this classic reference work.
With the guidance of the Society of Biblical Literature, an organization of the best biblical scholars world wide, we have selected Dean of Yale Divinity School, Harold Attridge, to oversee the Study Bible's updating and revision.
The fundamental strengths of the first HCSB remain:
- Up–to–date introductions to the Biblical books, based on the latest critical scholarship, by leading experts in the field
- Concise notes, clearly explaining names, dates, places, obscure terms, and other difficulties in reading the Biblical text
- Careful analysis of the structure of Biblical books
- Abundant maps, tables, and charts to enable you to understand the context of the Bible, and to see the relationship among its parts
In this new revised edition every introduction, essay, map, illustration and explanatory note has been reviewed and updated, and new material added.
For instance, there are newly commissioned introductory essays on:
- The archaeology of ancient Israel and the New Testament world,
- The religion of ancient Israel
- The social and historical context of each book of the Bible
- Biblical interpretation
There are completely new introductions and notes for many of the books in the Bible, plus a full revision and updating of all others. Of special interest are:
- The literary history of the Apocrypha
- More references to ancient non–Biblical sources which seem to parallel books in the Bible like the Gnostic gospels uncovered in Egypt or the famous scrolls found near the Dead Sea in Israel
- More comprehensive attention to the interrelationship of Old and New Testaments