1. Annie Monroe glided off the train in Jefferson, Texas, looking like no one Bertha Biddie had ever seen before. How would you react if you met such a woman in your hometown? How do you think most people would react to a woman living a lifestyle like Annie’s?
2. What should we as Christians do when we encounter people in situations that are in stark opposition to what the Bible teaches? What did Jesus do when he encountered the woman who was about to be stoned for adultery?
3. How can I become more aware of those around me who are dealing with serious problems? Do I seek out those who are hurting because of their life choices, or do I ignore them?
4. What do you think was the turning point in the relationship between Bertha and her mama? How was it different from that of Bertha and her papa?
5. Where did Thad go wrong in his dealings with his papa?