Please don’t read before completing the book as the questions contain spoilers!
1. Jenny studied to join the Amish church before she married Matthew. She knows that she—and her Amish friends and family—aren’t saints. But she experiences unaccustomed envy when her sister-in-law conceives. Have you ever envied someone? What was the situation? What did you do about it?
2. Jenny inherited a ready-made family when she married Matthew: little Annie, Mary, and Joshua. Many people have stepchildren these days. Do you? How are they the same—or different—from your own children?
3. Chris—Jenny’s brother-in-law—also converted to the Amish faith. Did you convert to a different religion when you married? How did you adjust?
4. Hannah—Jenny’s sister-in-law—practiced forgiveness when she was injured by a man who carried a grudge against Chris. What do you think about the Amish practice of forgiveness? Do you think they are right to refuse to prosecute those who try to harm them or in some way break a law?
5. Jenny’s family loves to tease her about her cooking. Many people don’t know how to cook these days. Do you like to cook or do you prefer to buy ready-made food or eat out? If you like to cook, what’s your favorite thing to cook?
6. Jenny is devastated when she finds her grandmother ill. Since Phoebe is her only living relative, she experiences real anxiety at losing her. Have you lost a beloved mother, father, or grandparent? How did you cope?
7. When she goes to get clothes for her grandmother, Jenny unexpectedly finds a letter that changes everything for her. Have you ever discovered a family “secret” and had
it change how you felt about someone you loved?